The mission/vision of the Arvin Advantage Program is to use after school programs as a means to close the achievement gap by providing children with the love of learning, and achievement opportunities to develop skills, competency, and efficacy in an environment that values children, the love of learning, and achievement.
Arvin Advantage Afterschool Guide
Arvin Advantage Afterschool Guide
The staff at the Arvin Advantage After School Program has planned an exciting program for this year, and with your help and support we will make this year a success. We have set guidelines to ensure that our goals are met. Please review these guidelines with your child so that he/she has an understanding of what is expected.
- It is the student’s responsibility to come to the After School Program prepared with homework, books, and reading material.
- A variety of educational supports will be provided. We encourage your child to participate fully.
- The student will display appropriate social behaviors with adults, staff and peers.
- The student is expected to work on assigned homework during the after school program. The Instructional Aides are available to assist the student with homework within the allotted time frame; it is the student’s responsibility to complete his or her homework.
- In addition to academics and homework support; the children will also participate in a variety of activities such as arts and crafts, recreational games, computer lab access and field trips.
We follow the same guidelines for code of conduct as stated in each school site handbook and policies as stated in the AUSD Parent Handbook *Please refer to your handbooks.
When a rule has been broken the following steps will be taken;
Step 1. He/she will have a talk with the teacher and the behavior and conversation will be dated and documented in a log book.
Step 2. If the behavior continues, the Site Coordinator will meet with the child. Once again, the conversation and behavior will be logged in a behavior log book, and the parent or caretaker will be notified of the meeting.
Step 3. 2nd notification to parent.
Step 4. If the behavior still continues, the Program Director along with the Site Coordinator will consider suspending and or dropping the student from the after school program. Each behavior infraction will be dealt with on an individual basis. However, if a serious infraction occurs, we have the right to drop a student from the program immediately.
Please abide by the following rules so that your child and others may fully benefit from the after school program.
- Departure Time- For safety reasons and to ensure that the student receives the full impact of our program, the campus gate will remain locked until 5:00pm. You may pick up your child at any time between 5:00 and 6:00pm (no later than 6:00pm) if a minor between the ages of 15-17 is picking up the child, a note signed by the parent must be on file with the Site Coordinator.
- Early Departure- If you need to pick up your child early for a doctor’s appointment or if an emergency arises, call your child’s Site Coordinator and someone will meet you at the gate to let you in. Please limit your early pick up time to 10 for the school year, after the 10th early pick up your child will be dropped from the program.
- Late departure- It is very important that you arrive on time to pick up your child, our staff leaves at 6:00 p.m. At 6:25 p.m. the site coordinator will call the Arvin Police Department if we have not heard from you. 3 late pick-ups and your child will be immediately dropped from our program.
- Absences- Your child is allowed 10 absences for the school year, these days may not be taken consecutively. On the 5th day of a consecutive absence your child will be dropped from the program.
- The Arvin Advantage After School Program will be closed for the following dates for professional development:
Friday, November 16, 2018
Friday, April 12, 2019
Please remember that it is best to list other people to pick up your child just in case you cannot. If the Site Coordinator does not hear from the parent by 6:25, then the Arvin Police Department will be called.
Click here for a PDF Version of this information in both English and Spanish
Contact the Coordinators
Melissa Esquivel 606-6016
Sonia Lopez 854-6590
Theresa Prieto 854-6598
El Camino Real
Daniel Romero 854-6551
Office number 854-6500 x129
Click on the links below to print the application for your school and turn it in to the school's office.
Bear Mountain Elementary After-School Program Application
El Camino Elementary After-School Program Application
Sierra Vista Elementary After-School Program Application
Haven Drive Middle School After-School Program Application